Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My Review of the Simon Says Stamp Monthly Card Kit Subscription

Monthly subscription services for paper crafting hobbies have been around for many years, and I have given many of them consideration, but in the end failed to sign up for any of them for one reason or another.  I personally tend to steer away from any subscriptions that lock me into just one manufacturer or style of crafting.  While this does make the mixing and matching from one month to another a little easier, it can also make the experience of sampling different products almost none existent.

Several months ago, I began my search for a "service." First I made a wish list.  (yes, I am one of *those* list making types of people! lol)  It included...
*  receiving supplies on a regular basis- preferable monthly
* getting CURRENT supplies that I couldn't necessarily obtain at my local stores
*  receiving enough supplies in the kit to make a big project, or several small ones with little additional stuff required from my own stash
* include supplies that are non consumable (like stamp sets)
* have the ability to add things from their shop, or feature add on kits
* have it fall within my personal budget with the shipping factored in
* allow me to "opt out" when I want or need to
* finally...have flexibility on the things I can create with the supplies (not be so specific that I can't still be creative on my own)

I spent several weeks watching You Tube unboxing videos and reviews with all sorts of wonderful kits....and honestly I was interested in several.  In the end it was a question of who met most of my requirements and offered the most bang for my buck.  It wasn't even really close for me...Simon Says Stamp won hands down...and had me signing on the dotted line.  Here is my honest review- and please know I am not compensated in any way for this opinion.

When you sign up for the kit it guarantees that you will receive the kit, as it does frequently sell out.  In addition to this, you save $5 off the price of the kit if you just by it from the site without a subscription.

This is the kit I got back in August featuring papers from My Mind's Eye and a stamp set by Kristina Werner called "card exchanging friends."  It also came with a selection of wonderful, high quality card stock, a full sized stencil, twine, a lollipop, and two flair.  I was inspired by the Maya Road canvas flower embellishment to dig out a discounted album I picked up at Michael's (also canvas) and create a mini album.  Yes...this is a MONTHLY CARD KIT but I am easily able to adapt the contents to mini projects like albums and project life with little effort!  The papers worked wonderfully, and were already cut to size at 6x6.  Couldn't be any easier.  My only regret is that they were double sided so I had to sacrifice a few patterns in the making of the album.

So my thoughts on the August kit.  For $25.95 It was well worth it!  The stamp alone is $14.99
This kit had a stamp set that totally fit into my interests of mail art!!!  It is full sized and made of very high quality photo polymer material.  It stamps like a dream!  There was also a full sized stencil.  Both products will be used and reused in many craft projects for years to come.  As for the papers, I adore MME and have lots of their products.  The mini album I am making for my birthday, coordinates PERFECTLY with the DCWV mat stack called Sunday Afternoon...so again, I was able to pull stuff from my stash to use.  A complete win win!  Even if you didn't previously own anything you could make lots of stuff with this kit.  It is worth noting that you can easily add coordinating items to your kit, and they are easily suggested at the bottom of the page when you see the kit online.  They will however ship separately.


My September kit was another winner!  This kit released right after the Fall CHA, and had very current papers in a chalk board theme from the MME Chalk Studio line, a banner die, assorted high quality card stocks, a FULL package of wood verneers!!!, Color box pigment ink, a great bicycle paper clip, and another full sized stamp set.  I love that the stamp set is super versatile with several sentiments, a cute cheveron border stamp, and a whole slew of flowers and stems to create you own arrangment!!!

Honestly, all I have done with this kit so far is make one card.  I have been busy with other projects but this one is not going to collect dust forever.  I think the neatest thing about this kit was a video I saw where the wood verneer was used in the Sizzix as a stencil!  Would never have thought of that as a use....must give it a try.

And finally onto October's kit...
The 6x6 paper in the October kit are too stinkin' cute!  The papers, and the package of sequins are from Lawn Fawn's Into the Woods collection.  We also got some Kelly Purkey letters, acrylic paint, chip board, twine, and a stamp set that is again so versatile!  Who doesn't love a tree stamp!?
I've made a couple cards with this kit, but until I finish the birthday album it is on hold just a little bit.  For this reason, I opted out of the November kit.  It was really cute, but with two kits that are barely used, I thought it best to hold off.   SSS released a special edition holiday card kit and once again I opted out of the December kit (no penalty or issues to do so....the customer service is really awesome!  Just had to send them an email).  I have so much Christmas themed stuff in general that I could not justify buying anymore at this time.  Like I had in my list, the ability to opt out is a HUGE factor for me!  I can jump right back into kits in January, see the preview of the kit being released and decide then if I will order it or not.  It is such a great card kit, and is full of current colors and trendy items!  I can not recommend them enough.

So tell me what you think?  Are you shopping around for a monthly card kit?  Do you have any other suggestions of ones I should look at?  Let me know!




No comments:

Post a Comment