Monday, November 18, 2013

Is a monthly subscritption box right for you? and a review of the four I currently subscribe to.

Up until a couple months ago I had NO idea just how many different types of monthly subscription boxes there are out there!  Seriously...if you can think of a hobby or interest, there is probably a business that is already catering to your needs!  Just last week when I was looking to see if there were other 'better' boxes than the ones I already subscribe to I came across a Face Book page called Monthly Subscription Boxes.  This page has a compiled list of ones to get you started simply by clicking on their 'about' section.

It is my opinion that the types of boxes that I subscribe to can benefit many people who can spare $10-25/month.  Keep in mind I can't really comment on those boxes that fall into the $200-$300 range because that is out of my price range. Oh let's be honest...I'm not even willing to give up $35 for a single subscription...yet.  :)

My first and original "box" is geared towards crafting and is the Simon Says Stamp monthly card making kit.  Up until a few months ago, I was of the opinion that craft subscription boxes were stupid and a real waste of money!  So why the change?  Well, I used to think that I could put together a much nicer box, for less, by using coupons and shopping my local craft stores.  This is partially true.  I can, but only to a point.  Once I began looking at the kits offered in the past I quickly noticed that some items were really cute and were completely exclusive to Simon Says Stamp.  Also, since they are such a large online retailer, they do carry all the latest and greatest stuff and by doing a monthly kit I was able to sample bits and pieces of it at a fraction of the cost of getting all the full sized packages myself.  I compared the cost of this kit and the amount of product you got with other similar services online, and decided this one was right for me.

Simon Says Stamp Card Monthly card kit  (over DIY or Others)
PROS
* you get a complete kit mailed to your door each month  for $25 (shipping is included)
* more often than not, you get a full sized, exclusive stamp set
* each kit come with a sample sheet of ideas to get you started as well you can also get the email with more ideas and even videos for free
* you save $5 off the normal price of the kit and you are guaranteed one before sell out
* the products are current and coordinate easily with each other (and sometimes other kits!)
*** this one is huge- there is no contract or minimum number of months to sign up for AND
*** you can opt out/skip a month for any reason without penalty!
CONS
* not a huge deal, but unlike some other services there is just one kit, there are no special add on's and if you want to purchase something from their regular online store it doesn't ship with the kit (to save on shipping)

The second box I get is BIRCHBOX.
I get the women's sample box, which is a mix of 4-5 beauty, healthcare, makeup, and some lifestyle items selected around a theme each month. These samples can be either luxury trial sizes- full sized items, and come from both well known and emerging brands.  What I like most about this subscription is that the items are loosely based on a beauty profile I filled out, and match my skin tone and preferences pretty closely!  I also love that I get to try things I normally wouldn't purchase.  Here is what my box looked liked for November 2013.

PROS
* very affordable at only $10.00/month and includes FREE shipping!
* each box is packaged like a gift and it really feels like a present when you are opening it!
* the box itself is sturdy enough to be reused, as well as the tissue (usually PINK!)
*  in addition to the box, there are plenty of face book and you tube videos with sneak peaks and talk of the products, how to use them as well as give aways
* in addition to the box there are also some extras like coupons offered to you
* my experience is that you get several full sized products/or luxury full sized items making the value of the box exceed what you paid for it!
* there is a great points system for referring friends, and rating products which you can use towards purchases
CONS
* it's a monthly subscription with no opting out, but you can quit your subscription at any time
* if you already have lots of makeup and beauty items this may get repetitive for you (I don't so I love it!)

If you would like to try this you can use my referral link
http://birch.ly/19Kh6mz



My third subscription is to IPSY
 Ipsy is also a monthly beauty and cosmetic type subscription and is often compared to Birchbox.  It too offers you 4-5 products each month, and has a theme that makes it a nice touch.  My experience so far is that Ipsy offers more higher end products which makes me feel like I am getting more bang for my buck while  Birchbox offers more affordable items.  Therefore I am more likely to actually purchase Birchbox's full sized items because they are more suited to my budget.

PROS
* another very affordable subscription at only $10/month which includes FREE shipping!
* each package comes in a metallic PINK bubble mailer!
* each month the samples come in a cute, reusable cosmetic bag!!
* in addition to the bag and contents there are often coupons included
* the items are usually larger than other companies (like birchbox) and have a higher value
* there is more cosmetic items in Ipsy
CONS
* You can not opt out of a month
* the waitlist can be long when you first sign up (2 1/2 months in my case)

If you would like to subscribe to Ipsy please feel free to use my referral code
http://www.ipsy.com/r/1n0o

The final subscription I get was a gift from Neil.  It is call Unmentionably Cheeky!  This is subscription for panties, and you get two pairs sent to you each month.   As they say on their website they are a "delighful delivery of fun, flirty, and feminine" panties each month and I agree completely!  The panties are made exclusively for them, and so far I have really enjoyed their selections and styles.  So often online shopping is difficult for plus sized girls, but this company is doing it right let me tell you!!!    I especially like that they are trendy enough that I can mix and match these with other lingerie items and camis that I  have already, and with two pairs arriving each month it is just enough to keep my supply of fancy, sexy underthings fresh and exciting!!  Here are the two pairs I received for the month of November.


PROS
* currently have a code FALL13 so it only costs $6 (and FREE shipping)
* comes in discreet, black packaging
* EXCLUSIVE trendy styles and colors each month
* the lace they use is soft and doesn't itch!!!
* the sizing is spot on!
* your partner will love this one too (wink wink)
* they do not charge extra for plus size!
* you can change the size you want at any time
* 100% garenteed!
* you can cancel any time
CONS
* I honestly can't think of any



No comments:

Post a Comment